Carbon Monoxide Detectors have been installed in all apartments to provide early warning against carbon monoxide leaks. Each apartment home will have a Carbon Monoxide Detector installed on hallway ceiling in the form of a smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector combo. An alarm will sound with three quick beeps if carbon monoxide is detected.
Resident acknowledges and agrees that for both the maintenance of the Premises and for the health and well-being of Resident and Resident's occupants, family and guests it is necessary to maintain responsibility for the carbon monoxide detector within the apartment home. If the detector is removed or tampered with, Resident acknowledges that they can be held liable for any damages that result. Furthermore, Resident acknowledges the minimum fine of $50 for replacement and labor to re-install the unit. This includes removing or tampering with the batteries. If Resident has any problems or concerns with the carbon monoxide detector, Resident agrees to contact the Resident Service line at (540) 951-1223.
Furthermore, Resident acknowledges the following information, which was obtained from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The full document can be read at: http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/466.html
- What is carbon monoxide (CO) and how is it produced in the home?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels. Appliances fueled with natural gas, liquefied petroleum (LP gas), oil, kerosene, coal, or wood may produce CO. Burning charcoal produces CO. Running cars produce CO.
- What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:
- Shortness of breath
- What CO level is dangerous to your health?
The health effects of CO depend on the level of CO and length of exposure, as well as each individual's health condition. The concentration of CO is measured in parts per million (ppm). Health effects from exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm are uncertain, but most people will not experience any symptoms. Some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms may become more noticeable (headache, fatigue, nausea). As CO levels increase above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.
- What should you do if you are experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning?
If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately. Open windows and doors for more ventilation, turn off any combustion appliances, and leave the house. Call your fire department and report your symptoms. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing. It is also important to contact a doctor immediately for a proper diagnosis. Tell your doctor that you suspect CO poisoning is causing your problems. Prompt medical attention is important if you are experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning when you are operating fuel-burning appliances. Before turning your fuel-burning appliances back on, make sure a qualified service person checks them for malfunction.
- What should you do when the CO detector/alarm sounds?
Never ignore an alarming CO detector/alarm. If the detector/alarm sounds: Operate the reset button. Call your emergency services (fire department or 911). Immediately move to fresh air -- outdoors or by an open door/window.
- How should a consumer test a CO detector/alarm to make sure it is working?
Consumers should follow the manufacturer's instructions. Using a test button, some detectors/alarms test whether the circuitry as well as the sensor which senses CO is working, while the test button on other detectors only tests whether the circuitry is working. For those units which test the circuitry only, some manufacturers sell separate test kits to help the consumer test the CO sensor inside the alarm.
- What is the role of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in preventing CO poisoning? CPSC worked closely with Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to help develop the safety standard (UL 2034) for CO detectors/alarms. CPSC helps promote carbon monoxide safety awareness to raise awareness of CO hazards and the need for regular maintenance of fuel-burning appliances. CPSC recommends that every home have a CO detector/alarm that meets the requirements of the most recent UL standard 2034 or the IAS 6-96 standard in the hallway near every separate sleeping area. CPSC also works with industry to develop voluntary and mandatory standards for fuel-burning appliances