Are you apartment hunting in Blacksburg, VA for an off-campus apartment for next school year? Here are some other things to consider.
11. Call your apartment complex prior to move-in and ask if there’s anything that doesn’t come with the apartment that you might need to purchase individually, such as a shower rod, router, nightstand, etc.
12. Buy a mattress pad.
13. Utilize your kitchen.
14. If you throw a house-warming party or kickback at your place, be prepared to clean up the leftover mess.
16. Off-campus living means no RA’s checking in on you every few days. Be sure to use your freedom wisely.
17. Always make sure you have food at your place.
18. Lock your bedroom door before leaving your apartment.
19. Don’t share your WiFi password with too many people.
20. Doing laundry becomes a blessing when you don’t have to worry about collecting quarters to use a machine.
21. Don’t forget to change your local address to your new residency.
22. Utilize whatever facilities your complex has to offer — pool, gym, tanning beds.
23. Make sure your apartment comes furnished.
24. Keeping a mini-fridge in your room isn’t such a bad investment.
25. If you plan on inviting more than three guests over, tell your roommates.
Neither dorm living nor apartment living has to be something viewed negatively. Doing your research prior to making any move-in promises will not only save you time and money, but also save you from further complications and allow for a smoother transition into your new residence.
That being said, do your homework prior to apartment shopping and you should be on the right path to finally finding your dream dwelling.
Don’t forget, last week we gave you the first 10 things to consider when searching for an off-campus apartment. For more information on apartments in Blacksburg, VA contact Foxridge.
USA Today - College