There’s a lot more to getting ready for college than registering for classes and buying books. College students need essential items for their new apartment in Blacksburg, VA. Working off of a college apartment checklist is a great way to ensure you have all they need to make it through their first semester of college.
The right environment for learning should be created in your new home. Get ready for your first semester by setting up your new home.
- Two laundry baskets or hampers: one for the restroom and one for the bedroom.
- A small card table for folding laundry. This is only necessary if the apartment has a washer and dryer or if the laundry facilities lack a place to fold clothes.
- Assorted hangers: coat hangers, wire hangers, dress hangers and slacks hangers.
- Laundry soap, bleach, stain remover, fabric softener sheets or liquid fabric softener and a Downy ball.
- An iron and ironing board with a spray bottle if the iron lacks a steam setting.
- Shower gel, lotion, shampoo and conditioner as well as a terry cloth robe.
- Plenty of towels will be needed. One or two towels is just not enough to get through until laundry day. Seven towels should be sufficient.
- If sharing a room with another student, privacy is hard to find. Purchase a canopy bed kit that can attach to the bedroom ceiling.
- Cloth room divider kits are great for college kids who value their privacy.
- A couple good sets of sheets: one made of cotton and the other flannel. These fabrics will keep the body cool and comfortable in the summer and warm and snug in the winter.
- A bed in a bag is a great way to get decorative accents and comforters in one. Make sure that the comforter is machine washable.
- Bedroom coordinates help tie a bedroom together and will make it feel more like a home. Garbage cans, lotion dispensers, pencil cups, pictures frames and more can be purchased in coordinating colors from any super store.
- A lightweight blanket and a throw style blanket come in handy in sweater whether and are a cheaper alternative to cranking up the heat.
Desk / Study Supplies
- A laptop, desk and book shelves. Without these three items, college in the modern age would be very difficult. Make sure the student has the proper furniture for studying and a well running laptop or tablet to take to class.
- A small printer can be a college student’s best friend. Stock the supply cupboard with plenty of extra paper, ink or toner cartridges, envelopes, files, paper clips, labels, tape, thumb tacks, book protectors, batteries and white out.
- Pens, mechanical or wooden pencils, erasers and highlighters will be needed every day. Bring plenty because they disappear quickly.
- Filing cabinets are a useful tool for student apartments, but only if there is enough room. Fill it with files and teach the student to organize bills, store receipts and store financial records.
- A white board is nice for jotting down fleeting thoughts or working through problems analytically.
- At least one personal finance book or information packet. Students should take a course in personal finance before moving away from their parents’ homes.
- Every college kid must learn to feed themselves. Cookbooks are a good idea.
- Utensils, such as spatulas, wooden spoons, slotted spoons, a set of sharp knives, a pizza cutter, knives, forks and spoons, serving spoons, measuring cups, a potato peeler and a whisk are essential kitchen items every student needs.
- A microwave if one isn’t included in the apartment.
- A folding table and two chairs for dining and food preparation. If there is not enough room for a folding table, a rolling kitchen island will work just as well.
- A good trash can and plenty of liners will go a long way towards keeping the apartment clean and messes under control.
- A couch with a built in recliner is nice if space permits, but if not, a love seat and a recliner should fill out the room and provide a nice, comfortable resting spot.
- End tables and/or a coffee table are essential. Everyone needs a place to put books, set beverages and rest feet, and coffee tables are the perfect solution. Neglecting this purchase could result in a messier apartment with stained floors.
- Family photos are nice for college kids who miss their families. During bouts of homesickness, framed family photos or digital frames can help ease their pain and give comfort.
- A TV isn’t necessary for survival, but it’s nice to have. Purchase a new TV with all of the latest tech toys included, because it will be a while before another one will be bought.
- Most apartments have a broom closet. This closet should be supplied with a vacuum cleaner, mop, broom and dust pan. Swiffer products are nice, but refills pads and cleaning liquids are unaffordable for students. Tradition mops and brooms are more appropriate.
- Disinfectant spray, toilet bowl cleaner or disposable cleaning wands, multi-purpose cleaners, bleach, magic erasers, tub and tile spray, scrubbing pads, a scrub brush, sponges and wash clothes should be stored in portable caddies for convenience and organizational purposes.
Getting students all they need to be comfortable is important. Without the basics, students will spend less time studying and more time trying to obtain what they need. Once the apartment is furnished and supplied, they will be all ready to start their school year.