The Town of Blacksburg and the surrounding area hosts a number of festivals and events for people of all ages and interests. No matter the season, there is a holiday event on the schedule and there is something for everyone.
If you live in an apartment in Blacksburg, VA and are looking for fun holiday events taking place throughout the region in the coming weeks, look no further. Here’s a preview of what’s on the calendar for the 2017 holiday season in Virginia’s Blue Ridge!
Winter Lights Festival Holiday Parade
Held the first Friday in December. Featuring the Holiday Parade, Tree Lighting Ceremony, Santa at the Lyric, and more. Downtown Merchants' annual open houses, late night shopping, free gift wrap, snacks and beverages, holiday specials.
The marching bands will put on a show and you can decide which group built the most creative float for the numerous holiday parades in Virginia’s Blue Ridge. Santa has also been known to make an appearance!
- Christmas Parade - Downtown Vinton, November 30
- 61st Annual Salem Christmas Parade - Downtown Salem, December 1
- Franklin County Christmas Parade - Downtown Rocky Mount, December 3
- Buchanan Christmas Parade - Downtown Buchanan, December 9
- City of Roanoke Christmas Parade - Downtown Roanoke, December 9
Enjoy many of the classic holiday flavors and browse from an impressive selection of local gift items at these popular festivals.
- Dickens of a Christmas - Downtown Roanoke, December 1, 8, 15
- Gingerbread Festival - Salem Public Library, December 2
- Ye Olde Salem Christmas - Salem Farmers Market, December 9
- Historical Holiday Events
Many of our historical sites and museums in Virginia’s Blue Ridge join the fun of the holiday season with special events and features that take you back in time.
- Fantasyland - O. Winston Link Museum, November 24 - December 21
- Toys of Christmas Past - Salem Museum, November 24 - January 13
- Holiday Candlelight Tours - Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, December 1-16
- An Old Virginia Christmas - Booker T. Washington National Monument, December 2
- Candy Cane Express - Virginia Museum of Transportation, December 2-3
- Live Nativity Event - Camp Eagle, December 2-3, 9-10
The holiday spirit truly takes over when you join the crowd in the exciting countdown of lighting a Christmas tree.
- City of Roanoke Christmas Tree Lighting at Dickens of a Christmas - Downtown Roanoke, December 1
- Roanoke County’s Christmas Tree Lighting - South County Library, December 4